History

History

In 1838 Surif was noted as a Muslim village, located between Hebron and Gaza, but subjected to the government of Hebron. In 1863 Victor Guérin found Surif to be a village with 700 inhabitants. He further noted that beside a birket in the rock, a few cisterns and an ancient column shaft which was placed near a small mosque, all of Surif's constructions seemed more or less modern.


An official Ottoman village list from about 1870 showed 87 houses and a population of 265, counting men only.

In 1883, the Palestine Exploration Fund's Survey of Western Palestine described Surif as "A small village on a low hill, with olives to the south." In 1896 the population of Surif was estimated to be about 1164 persons.